Thursday 1 December 2011

Zeus And Me

"What kind of a dog is he?" It's the question most people ask, after they have edged away from him, beyond the reach of his chain. It's a good question. My son was told Zeus was a mastiff/bull-terrier cross. It could be. He is somewhat smaller than a mastiff, bigger than a bull-terrier, with a heavy, athletic build, a jaunty, muscular elasticity about him, a purposeful spring to his stride, cool and quietly calculating bright brown eyes that take in everything with calm friendly appraisal.

He has the placid self-confidence of a heavyweight, who knows that he does not have to prove himself but will not hesitate to do so if the need arises. He would rather, far rather, make friends than fight, but woe betide the dog that dares to challenge him, for Zeus reacts to aggression with an instant response literally too quick for the eye to follow.

Which is frightening, and also problematic. He will approach a strange dog with careful interest, intent on making their acquaintance. The difficulty is that his bull neck and heavy shoulders cause the stranger understandable concern and if he takes the trouble to approach them directly, their alarm might take the form of a nervous, warning growl.

I have only seen this happen once. The growl was cut off almost as soon as it started. Zeus had the stranger by the side of the neck and on the ground in a single blur of energy that tool both the other dog and myself totally by surprise. But Zeus's intention, fortunately, was benign. He simply pinned the dog down and held him there.

At the other end of Zeus's chain, I had been jerked forward, off balance, my only thought being to prevent instant slaughter. I had felt the force of Zeus's rapid sideways tugs, the power of those neck muscles wrenching rapidly from side to side, in many a tug-of-war contest with him in which I was barely able to hold my own at the end of a rope, and I knew no flesh and blood could possibly survive such an onslaught.

I doubt my panic-stricken commands to him to 'drop it' had any effect at all, if they were even heard by him, but Zeus simply held the dog fast, firmly pinned to the ground, and after a few seconds released his grip.

The dog leaped up, turned and bolted. It was the only time I have seen Zeus in action. I was chilled with shock and thoughts of what could so easily have happened, but the other dog, thoroughly chastened, stopped some distance off, in an attitude of total submission, and the owner marvelled admiringly at Zeus's performance.

For his part, job done, Zeus stood panting, looking at his opponent, at me, at everyone else, with a calm "what's all the fuss about" expression, ready for whatever else was required of him.

by guest blogger: Brian Murgatroyd

1 comment: